It’s been closed to the public for almost 40 years, but now Britain’s oldest lido is set to reopen to the public, after being restored with 340m² of grey wet pour being installed around the pools.
Originally opened in 1817, the lido was open to public use.
By 1867, Captain Evans had taken charge of Cleveland Pools, teaching swimming, providing snacks and hosting gala parties with his pet baboon.
There was certainly no monkeying about for our team, however, as the unusual access to the site meant that our materials and equipment had to be transported to the area by barge.
This didn’t deter our team though, who managed to install the grey mix rubber surfacing well within the set time frame.
Coloured wet pour is a great alternative to traditional tiles around pools, as it is non-slip and impact absorbent making the area safe for visitors.
Wet pour is also fully porous, so The Cleveland Pools Trust do not have to worry about standing water.